Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bringing up the old stuff.


So I was going through my laptop, and found these things I wrote back when I was 14, 15 and 16. Let me know what you honestly think. I think they're juvenile, but hey, I was just a kid. Oh, and they don't have titles. Never had them, never wanted them.




Nothing but a waste of space. That's how you think, right? Worthless, shameful, imperfect. Broken beyond healing. All because of one person. The words they spew still sting like venom; slowly rotting you to your core. You can't help but to keep your thoughts unvoiced, hidden behind cracked walls.

The mind is powerful thing. The way it works fascinates and confounds whomever is curious of its' depths. You can never know what someone is truly thinking; how they're mind is working. Yes, adults have far more wisdom or 'intelligence' than the younger generation, but have you ever known exactly what is going on in the mind of someone who's not as wise? Not as intelligent? The teenage mind baffles anyone who dares to brave its’ waters. You can never know what we're thinking. The abnormalities inside will have you wondering how that person is still functioning, how they're still alive. The teenage mind is an amazing thing; it can confuse you, it can make you smile, but most importantly, it can make you feel sadness on a whole other level. Some say teenagers just have attitude and are nothing more than delinquents. I say, do you know how they feel? Do you know what they've been through? Everything based on experiences, and memories. Memories are what we live off of. A final breath we take from the reality we drown in. No escape. We are prisoners of our own sub-conscience battles. Torturing ourselves for that one memory that makes us smile for just a moment. Why should anyone judge a person who is crying out for help, but doesn't have the words to say it? They don't have enough power to voice out what they are going through. We are strong in many ways, constantly mimicking elation we may have felt at a simpler time. We are masters at fake smiles and falsifications. We can mask the ugliness we feel inside ourselves. The teenage mind engages itself in emotions no one else would dare to go near. Why do we do this? Why should we make ourselves suffer for something so common? Happiness is something that should never be thrown around. Happiness doesn't come from material items for us; happiness comes in the moments we treasure, and experiences we abide by. We keep everything inside something so small, so delicate. We take so much care of something that should be destroyed, and we want nothing more than to shatter it. To deface the barrier we cower behind. We'll have happiness one day, and we may actually have a real smile, not an imitation of our desires.
-

 
Who am I? The question we all ask ourselves. Are we who we really want to be, or are we the people everyone expects us to be? I ask myself this question everyday. Am I just a figment of someone's imagination making me into the person society molds everyone into, or will I be one of the lucky ones who'll find a way to a personal freedom? Everyone expects you to be perfect, to be some amazing tribute to this world, to know all the answers. In reality, no one knows all the answers. We lean on others to make the decisions we're too afraid to make. We look at ourselves in the mirror through all the things that make people believe we're not just a bunch of imposters, and realize that we don't need all the access things we cover ourselves with. I think of this, and not even the tears can wash away the fakeness that I plaster all over my face. It's a harsh world, but we just have to dig deeper, and until the minute before you die; you'll never know who you are, never know who you could of been.

-


Eleven O’clock. The sound of an engine starting makes you reminisce about what day it is. You see it coming up, your heart pounding so hard you hear a ringing in your ears. The door slides open, stepping out and grabbing your black mesh duffle bag from the back seat. There it is. The familiar scent of fresh cut grass and bright yellow paint makes you smile as you walk over to the guys. The suns bright, and you have your Gatorade hanging out of your mouth. Every moment that pasts makes your head fly through everything you’ve learned so far, thinking of which will come first. More and more people arrive as you get arranged, mentally and physically. Eleven thirty. You head over to the turf, staring at the opponent, wondering what their thinking right now. Minutes pass as you head over to the bench, focusing on the fact that your about to go face to face with your number one rival. Twelve O’clock. You hear the whistles blow. It’s game time.

-


“Do you trust me?” Were the only words to come out of his mouth, his mind was off to another world. His eyes were light, but had something behind them, burning, insinuating at me. His grip was tight on my shoulders, and he kept it that way. The seriousness of his expression sent me into a world of curiosity; ‘what is he thinking?’ Being alone with him, made me realize how vulnerable he was, but also, how incredibly vulnerable I was, too. The sound of my breathing, the heartbeat thumping through my chest furiously, he could see I was nervous; and I was. His grip slightly loosened, slipping his rough hands into mine. He took a few steps back, leading me from the kitchen to the living room. All I could do was look down, too scared, yet to excited to look him in the eyes. Once he let go, I made my way to the couch. He looked at me with a dim smile on his face and walked over, standing above me. He grabbed my hand and lifted me up onto my feet again, this time, smiling generously. The look in his eyes reminded me of what he had asked, but I was so hypnotized, so captivated, all I could breathe out was a simple, “Yes.”

-

I guess you can call it finding yourself, what I did. I don’t regret the decisions I’ve made; I regret the time I had to make them. I can’t apologize for something I’ve already done. That’s what’s funny about the past, you can forget about it, or block it out, but you can’t change it. The only way I can explain my situation is starting from the beginning, when my life just began.

Nineteen years old I was on my own. Second year in college, and still unsure of what I wanted out of life. That’s where I met him. The awkwardness of middle school age came back as I thought that this person might turn out to be mine. We moved in together second semester. Funny how a year ago I was under my parents’ roof and now I was with somebody I loved, taking care of each other.

It was a simple type of love, but we knew we were secure. We had a fireplace that we would roast marshmallows at whenever it got a bit chilly in our tiny apartment. We would go to the candy store down the street every Friday night, and sit by that fire stealing each others’ best candies. He would always steal my taffy whenever I wasn’t looking. They were my favorite, but I let him take them anyways.

As the years wore on, we grew more tense toward each other. He stayed out late, and I stayed in. I got lonely, and I got angry. Those nights by the fire were gone and replaced with nights of arguments, frustration, and tears. He would always apologize, though. And kiss me like he did on that first day.

Nothing was ever fixed, always replaced with newer problems facing us both. The first time I saw him with another I felt as if my world had fallen apart. The same hands that use to hold mine by that fire all those nights were now occupied with a stranger, an imposter.

I let tears fall as I pack his suitcase. I left on the steps next to the mailbox, and gently laid down a note on the top of it. I knew this wasn’t going to be easy, letting go of the person I loved, and shared so many secrets with. He was mine; and we just, meshed.

As I waited, I remembered everything he has ever said to me, everything he’s ever done for me. He was my best friend. All the notes he would leave me in my notebook, all the silent hugs he would give me while I was crying, meant nothing. My heart shattered as I put my head in my hands, fighting back emotions I’ve never felt before.

I saw him walk towards those stairs he had been walking up for years now, and his facial expression grew stern as he read more and more into the note. The look on his pale face showed me he understood what was wrong; and as he picked up his suitcase, he looked up at the window, and gave me one last smile. I could tell he was hurt, but I deserved better.

As the days went on, I grew lonelier. Missing my best friend more each day. Missing the way he smiled, the way he smelled, the way he held my hand, and most of all missing the way he would hold me on those chilly nights. Telling me everything will be okay.

So I sat there, on the same spot we would sit at every Friday night, looking at that same fireplace. Wishing he was home again.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to leave something (: