Thursday, July 26, 2012

The secret life of a Mustang


The idea of pushing yourself to do a couple more push ups, or running a couple more steps, sucks. If you’ve ever been in any sort of high-endurance sport, you’d know that hard work pays off, and that those few extra steps help. Well, if you’ve ever been in football, you’d know that those few extra steps turn out to be a few extra laps. And a few extra push ups, still turn out to be a few more laps. (With coach Mark anyways)

The life of a girl in football is rough. Surprise! First of all, being a girl in general is rough. But of course I had to throw football into the already crazy mix of hormones and pimples. (Like those weren’t enough already!) Being in middle school at the time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever to join football and be with ‘the cool guys’and be along side my older brother who of course wanted me there so badly.



Let me explain to you what it was like being a Mustang

 
You would think any normal female would have the common sense to not have to urge to want to put on pads and a helmet, and run around hitting people. Well, it’s a lot more fun than you’d think. When you’re at a certain age, you want to start wearing make-up and dress more like a girl, but not me. Yea sure, it would have been nice to be someone that all the ‘cool’ older guys looked at. But frankly, that was a waste of my time. I wanted to be running around in the mud, staining whatever clothes I wore that day, and having the arm muscles of a guy. It was great.


Along with attempting to fit in with a bunch of guys, I had a few injuries. A few dislocated fingers, a torn ACL, face masks to the throat, and a few hits to my dignity. Someboday please explain to me why in the hell would anybody want to keep going back after all of that. Seriously. And what didn’t really help, was that I was in two other sports along with football. I took a year off dance because I couldn’t walk for a while. But of course, me being as stubborn as I am, was ready to go back right away.


Now heres the best part.. You would think that being around so many boys would be freaking sweet, right? Wrong! I don’t even remember how many buttcracks I’ve seen. Not only from my guys, but the other teams too. I mean yea, it’s nice to see some of them with their shirts off, but once you smell them, it won’t matter. Now it’s not just the sweat, or the various body parts, or the many kinds of boxers I saw that grossed me out; oh noo, it was their constant need to shove their nasty under armors in my face after a game. Thanks for that Matt, I really appreciated it..


But I think the worst part of it all, was the parents. I’ve heard a lot of the years, but the worst I’ve heard was of course, from the Houlton fans. It was enough that the parents of the Mustangs were a little hesitant, but atleast they weren’t rude. I was sworn at, called vulgar names, got spat at, and got told that If I don’t leave their kid won’t play. I understand your stereotypical attitude towards me, but if you’re going to have a closed mind, you should have a closed mouth.


The memories I’ve had with those boys over the years will never go away. I’ve cried of laughing countless times, got some nicknames that should remain a mystery, and dubbed the titile of “Michel before he went on steroids”. It’s been a long four years of seeing a group of bottomless pits managing to eat everything in sight, and being teased because of crippled times, but that’s what makes it so special. No other group of individuals could make me laugh like they did. There will of course be other players experiencing the life of a Mustang, but none will take the place of the original “Turdy Tree”. And that, my friends, will never change.



 





If you or anyone you know would like to be a Mustang, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to leave something (: